The Coastal BID runs from Westbourne to Hengistbury Head as shown on the map below. It is one of two BIDs voted through by Bournemouth businesses in April 2012. In this ballot, 73% of those who voted supported the creation of the BID. There are 760 eligible businesses within the Coastal BID area, with a total rateable value of £30 million.
The objectives for the Coastal BID are to:
- Increase the number of people visiting Bournemouth off-season and persuade them to stay longer
- Encourage visitors and local people to explore more of our unique coastal strip
- Provide visitors and local people with reasons to spend more in local coastal businesses
- Improve everyone’s experience and to encourage repeat visits
- Help make your business more profitable by negotiating discounts with key suppliers
The Board has the legal responsibility for delivering the agreed Business Plan during its five year term. In accordance with the Business Improvement District Regulations (England and Wales) 2004. The BID is an independent, not-for-profit company with a board of directors drawn from a range of businesses in the BID area.
Between 2012 and 2017, the BID will invest around £3 million in improving business opportunities in the BID area. Core funding comes from the 760 eligible businesses. On top of these mandatory levy contributions, the BID Board anticipates it will be able to lever in an additional 30% through voluntary contributions, sponsorship and matched funding for specific projects.